Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My Winter Home- November 28, 2007




Excitement is in the air around the small town of Telluride as ski season officially opened today! A foot of snow fell last Thursday which provided a base and the snow making equipment has been busy day and night as temperatures have dropped substantially in the past week. It is 14 degrees as I write and more snow is expected this weekend. I bought a new pair of skiis before Thanksgiving and they are in the shop getting the bindings mounted. They are the cutest skiis I've ever seen; pastel pink and blue, sculptured shape, and they only reach up to my nose! I can't wait to try them out even though I haven't down hill skiied for about 12 years. I imagine it is about like "riding a bike," at least I hope so!

I had a wonderful and quick visit to New England for Thanksgiving and moved to Telluride on Monday morning. The gray house in the picture is mine for the year and one of the rooms serves as the classroom. The home has been totally remodeled and is so comfortable and cozy. I am one house up from Main Street and everything is within walking distance which I am loving. I used to love to live out in "nowhere" and having land around me has always been so important. As I've gotten older, however, I've realized how much I love being near the center and being able to walk everywhere. This is part of the charm of San Miguel as well.

To go skiing, I will walk out my front door carrying my skiis and wearing my boots as the gondola is a short walk down a side street. This lift, which is free year round, takes you to Mountain Village where most of the ski trails are located. From the top, all levels of trails are available but I'll be staying away from the Black Diamonds!

This small but magical, snowy village appears to be the perfect spot to spend the winter.........

No comments: