Spending 5 days on a boat in the Baja was a very different experience for me. On previous trips to Mexico, I have always been on the land so it was a bit difficult to be sitting on a boat. However, it was an amazing opportunity to view an abundance of wildlife and to appreciate the beauty of uninhabited beaches, the ocean, and the wonderful night sky.
When we first arrived, Ted was there with a brother-in-law so there were 10 on board the first night. There are 4 staterooms below, three additional sleeping areas within the boat and the top deck, under the stars. Often, the top deck is the desired sleeping quarters so I joined 6 others and slept on top the first couple of nights. It was magnificent! I woke a couple of times and lay on my back and just enjoyed the moment, the stars, and the vastness. In the morning, we woke to beautiful sunrises and warm days.
Ted and James left with Dennis to go hunting on the mainland so 7 of us remained for the rest of the trip. We stayed in Bahia Magdalena for the first two days and then moved the boat to another bay, Santa Maria. It was much windier there and we couldn't get close to the beach in the ponga but we were able to do some fishing and lots of schoolwork!
I especially enjoyed seeing the wildlife....so many pelicans, terns, osprey, and seals to entertain us. I learned the names of many varieties of fish and we kept a fish log which we will graph today. Speaking of that, it is time for school! More to follow soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment