Thursday, November 15, 2007

Baja beach November 2007













We stepped from the ponga onto the fine, white sand, devoid of any footprints except those made recently from the birds or other types of wildlife. In the distance, on one horizon, we could see the mountains and on the other, rolling, white dunes and a pristine beach, as far as our eyes could take us. A gentle breeze cooled the air from the hot sun and overhead, the sky was a lovely shade of blue, a few shades different than the ocean surrounding the bay.........more visually perfect than words can describe.
It felt as though we were the first visitors to this beautiful land but of course, we were not! We all approached the dunes and walked onto and among them. We immediately sank into the deep, soft sand, wiggling our toes in delight. I especially enjoyed standing and watching the dune activity. The sand is so deep and fine that with the gentle breeze blowing, the dunes are constantly being reshaped right before your eyes in slow moving action. You can watch the sand build up at the top and begin to slide down in miniature rivers and avalanches, quickly covering over any evidence on someone having been there before. This reshaping was mesmerizing and poetic in it's own way.
As the beaches are seldom walked, I enjoyed walking and picking up all types of shells and interesting bones. Some of the bones were too large to attempt to bring home but very interesting to see and to use as a lesson with the kids. We speculated as to what animal group they may have belonged to; fish, bird, mammals, estimated size, etc. What a classroom!
I brought home lots of sea urchins, sand dollars, and other types of shells which we are studying now but these are some of the ones I left behind. I'm really enjoying learning as I teach!

1 comment:

Daktari said...

Hi Patti
Wow what nice images to go with the photos. And what a pleasure it must be to have three lively curious students and all of nature for a classroom! Go girl!
Mark