Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Perfect Day December 2, 2007









Boy, am I tired!
I imagine by morning, I'll be feeling muscles I forgot I even had........
The snow of yesterday continued most of the night but when it dawned, the clouds rolled away, leaving another gorgeous day in Telluride. The snow continued to hug the trees all day despite the temperature rising in the town to the 40-50 degree range. The ski mountain stayed considerably colder, though very comfortable.

I picked up my new K2 Love Bugs this morning around 9:00 with th bindings mounted and ready to go. Teddy joined me and she became the teacher today and took me up the gondola to "teach me the ropes." It is such a big mountain, I was grateful for the guidance. Only a few of the trails are open so far, but it was some of the best skiing I ever remember. Maybe that has a bit to do with my age and simply forgetting, but I don't remember ever skiing with such beauty all around me. The mountains tower and surround you while skiing from Mountain Village.

The free gondola takes you up the mountain and you get off at a ski trail called Village Byway. This slope takes you down to Mountain Village, the hub of the ski resort. It was bustling today as everyone is so excited to have the mountain open and the official ski season underway. The snow was awesome and the weather, perfect.

I only skied for a couple of hours and was amazed at how quickly it all came back. Of course, the cute new skis with the sculptured shape and short length surely helped. As I reminded myself of shifting weight, weight on the downhill, etc, I kept hearing the voice of my junior high boyfriend and how patiently he tried to make a skier out of me. How proud he would be to see me skiing Telluride!

After walking back home, I spent some time doing yoga and then relaxed in a hot bath but I'm afraid I'll still be stiff tomorrow. However, trust me, I'll be right back out on the slopes!

I hear the east is expecting some snow tonight........enjoy!

2 comments:

Daktari said...

Hi Patti-
Great photos! And yes yoga does help! Will you be skiing every day now?

Wishing you many more perfect ski days!
Be careful of the 'snow snakes' that inhabit deep powder. I here they especially go for K2 Love Bugs.

Mark

Daktari said...

Hi Patti-

Dan Bean says it's snowing hard in Durango today!
Prepare for powder!

Mark