Monday, April 7, 2008

Viernes de Dolores, San Miguel de Allende, March 14, 2008




Hello family and friends,

Just a quick blog now, but I intend to catch up and have lots of info and pics from all the things that have gone on in the last few weeks. The family and I are in La Quinta, CA and will not return to CO until May. We will spend time here, and in Mexico, on their boat in the Baja.

I had such a hectic time in Mexico and came home sick, had to pack to leave, and pull together three weeks of lesson plans. The "blog" got put on the back burner. However, this trip will have some down time where I plan on catching up. Check the blog!

I was not in San Miguel for the celebration of Viernes de Dolores but my friend, Roz, forwarded this picture to me and I wanted to share it. Apparently, this celebration is unique to SMA. Doors, windows and fountains are decorated with alters filled with flowers,fragrant herbs, and candles. The doors and windows are left open for viewing and ice cream and fruit drinks are offered to the viewers. Most of the cities 45 fountains are beautifully decorated as well. I can imagine how beautiful it must have been. This celebration is dedicated to the sorrows of Mary, and is another example of the strong religious attitude that pervades this society. The Mexican generosity and warmth is demonstrated with the passing out of food and drink. I am sorry to have missed this part of the Pascua celebration, but grateful for all I was able to witness!

No comments: