




Easter morning dawned-another beautiful day in San Miguel. The weather is nearly always perfect there! I walked to a couple of churches and spent a little time listening to the mass in Spanish and observing the people. There is such a reverence among them. It is common to see people "bless themselves" as they walk past a church or a statue or when the bus they are riding on begins to move, etc. On any given day, people are in and out of churches on a regular basis. So, on a "holy day", you can imagine.
The morning was fairly quiet and I saw no evidence of the Easter Bunny of which I was glad. The crowds did gather again, though, outside of the churches. It is a tradition in SMA to blow up "Judas" figures in the jardin. I walked to see what was going on. About a dozen full-sized paper mache figures had been strung across the street. Each was labeled with the name of an individual or a business that the town or citizens had a gripe with. Each was filled with an explosive. One by one, the fuse was lit and the figures blown up, amidst cheering and many covering the ears in expectation of the big boom! Mexicans have a good time doing everything!
My friend, Roz, had been invited to Easter dinner at a friend's house and she asked to bring me and her aunt along. I had dinner with a "tableful" of Canadians...such nice folks. We had an interesting political discussion. One lady said that the whole world is afraid of our upcoming elections. They are afraid McCain will get in and war will continue. I wanted to alleviate their worries and tell them that, of course, our country was ready for a change and would vote democratic. . ......but that was what I thought last time and look what happened. Still, it was interesting to hear their comments and reinforce my thoughts.
Hope all of you celebrated Easter and spring in a memorable way!
No comments:
Post a Comment