Sunday, July 6, 2008

Telluride Fourth Of July-2008







Blue sky, hot sun, mountains, clean air and the most festive parade I have ever seen! Fourth of July in Telluride, CO. This small mountain community certainly grew in population for the holiday, as is also explodes during the winter ski season and during the numerous festivals held throughout the year. The people here like to have fun and know how to do it. Anyone who wished to be in the parade can do so and we certainly saw a wide assortment of individuals and groups strutting and celebrating.

The parade marches down Main Street so my Mom (who is visiting) and I had a perfect view from the porch of the main house. The costumes were fantastic and people of all ages participated. During the parade, 4 B52 bombers buzzed low over the crowd several times. Each year, they fly from one small town to another "buzzing" the crowd, returning several times to each.

After the parade, the crowd moved down to the park where the firemen put on a huge barbecue. People brought blankets and games and spent the afternoon celebrating. In the evening, the fireworks were spectacular and again, we were able to view them right from the house. Telluride is located in a box canyon with an amazing echo; a unique experience for me.

I can't fit all the photos on this page so I'll send a few more following. Hope you all had as much fun celebrating the Fourth as we did!

No comments: