Friday, July 4, 2008

More Monarchs.......June, 2008






Hello everyone....just a few more marvelous monarchs. The little "guy" lying on the floor didn't make it, I'm sorry to say. The picture is great, though, because you can see the skin splitting, revealing the chrysalis inside.

Also shown, in the other three pictures is Little Joe, our first monarch. We released her into the apple orchard and she happily flew away. The life expectancy of a monarch is only a few weeks long during the summer months. However, the last generation in the fall "knows" to fly to Mexico to winter over. They meet up with other monarchs during the trip and "migrate" thousands of miles to winter over in Michoacan, Mexico. Sorry that I can't seem to end this butterfly tale because the pictures are so fascinating. I'll send more soon so I can get on to the Fourth Of July!

No comments: