My favorite
North American Desert
Kestral
Spicebush Swallowtail
JavalinaSaturday school isn't always a bad thing; in fact, we had a great time visiting The Living Desert and didn't mind at all, that it was a Sat. For various reasons, we often miss a weekday of school and will make it up on the weekend. We headed out early as the temperature was predicted to hit 100 degrees. Now, that is not nearly as bad as 100 degrees at home, when all activity would cease and we would sit, dripping in exhaustion, with any effort. 100 degrees in the desert is hot, but if you sit in the shade, you almost always feel a cool breeze. Becky gave me a copy of Desert Solitude by Edward Abbey (some of you may be familiar with) and I've enjoyed reading how he describes the desert, in an extraordinary way.
The Living Desert is broken down into two main parts; the North American Desert and the African Desert. Each section contains plants and animals that one might see in each type of desert. Though the kids had been there before, they were eager to see it again and we had a wonderful time exploring and learning. Unfortunately, many of the animals were taking a siesta in the heat of the day, which is how they are able to survive in such extreme circumstances.
We had lunch in the African section where they have recreated an African village, except for the food which was hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, and ice cream! The children loved the petting
zoo and the butterfly house, where we identified many varieties and watched butterflies emerging from the chrysalis stage.
When we returned home, we had to fit in P.E. so a trip to the pool was in order. There were no complaints about Saturday school.............
2 comments:
Patti, I can't get over all the wonderful places and all the interesting information you are sharing with all of us...do you write down some of the facts? Wow! I enjoyed seeing you and Ruth together and your casita looks amazing. Not to put end to your amazing adventures but when do you head back to MA? Until then,
Deb
Hi Deb,
Not sure if this is how to write back to you but thought I would try. I do write down lots of the facts. In addition to the blog, I keep a daily journal. I have learned so much this year!
I have been unable to sign on to the school site since last week so I am missing all the school news!
I think I will be heading home by mid-July, which is coming very soon!
Home stretch for all of us!
Love,
Patti
Post a Comment