




Just as in New England, the weather and the temperature change drastically and quickly. When we arrived back at the farm at the beginning of May, we had a couple of cool days, followed by a week of lovely, warm, "shorts" weather. Over the weekend, it changed again and we had lots of heavy rain, unusual for the high desert. Since then, it has been cool and overcast. I still manage to fit in some hiking and have returned a couple of times, to the high cliffs in front of my cabin.
The second photo is of the 3 mile drive to reach the 1000 acre farm (from the main road). It is dirt and bumpy but the view is lovely. Notice all the snow still in the mountains near us. The farm is in a valley, however, and we are at the tail-end of the blossoming fruit trees. They have several thousands between the peaches, nectarines, apricots, apples and cherry. The farm is alive with animals and I've had such fun watching the Canada Geese in the pond raising their babies.
If you look closely, in the first picture, you can see my cabin on the far right, taken from the high bluff. It is behind the large green field. You can see the Gunnison River (brown and wide) and the narrower irrigation ditches on either side. All of the "living spaces" at the farm are irrigated, providing the lush orchards and grass. The entire west is irrigated and I find the whole process amazing.
I will try to get another blog or two done this week before my daughter, Becky, arrives on Sat. (I can hardly wait!) Originally, both she and Melanie were going to try and come together, but Mel is heading to the Phillipines to study rice production, on Friday, for three weeks.....a very timely topic. Becky and I will spend some time at the farm, in Telluride, and hopefully, we will visit Mesa Verde.
More to follow about the wildlife here!
No comments:
Post a Comment