We left La Paz on Sunday morning and drove for two hours to La Ribera. It was a surprise for me to see all the mountains along the way as I didn't expect the terrain in the Baja to look like this. Cattle grazed along the way on the scrubby, mountain slopes. As they were unrestrained by fences, they were often in the narrow, windy road, just around the corner. The sun was warm and felt so good on our skin after all the cold Telluride air.
La Ribera is a small Mexican town on the Sea of Cortez. Most of the town was pretty run-down but gringo homes were easily spotted. Small developments with beautiful homes are springing up on the outskirts. I, again, had to pinch myself to believe I was staying in such a home as I was in! My little casita, which I had to myself, is shown in the picture. The hot tub was next to the pool and the home sat directly on a lovely, sandy beach.
School was held on the terrace at times but the wind picked up and we often had to work inside in order to keep our work from blowing away. One day, we went to visit a small school in Las Barrilas to hand out school supplies the Herricks had brought along for that purpose. The Mexican children were so happy and invited our kids to play soccer with them, which they did. This was a great experience for all!
1 comment:
Hi Patti, Just catching up on your blog!I tried to leave a comment but it doesn't seemed to have worked so I'm trying again. It all sounds wonderful, the school looked pretty substantial, could just be the pics! What size boat(yacht) were you on...I'd like to charter in the Sea Cortez like we do in the BVIs, same company does that there. Fill me in on the boat. Keep up the great blogs.
Deb
Post a Comment