Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Storm's Refuse-Baja, Mexico




A large storm had passed through the Baja a few days before our visit and unfortunately, many of the sea creatures did not survive for one reason or another. The first picture is of a Puffer Fish and there were hundreds of these unusual creatures on the beach. Their bodies are covered with long spines and I would call them porcupine fish. They have the ability to "puff" themselves way up when they sense danger. With all the spines, they would look pretty fierce.

Further along the beach, we found a dolphin and right along side, another very large fish. It is sad to see such amazing creatures stranded, dead on the shore. On the other end of the beach, I came upon a pelican. As hard as it is to see them, it gives one an opportunity to examine wildlife close-up. I found out that a pelican has a very sharp claw at the tip of it's top bill. They are amazing birds and I especially enjoyed seeing them alive, flying and catching fish!

No comments: