Monday, January 21, 2008

Telluride Snow Fest Jan. 17-21, 2008





Telluride knows how to have a good time and one festival follows another. In this winter wonderland, various ski festivals take place. The "snow fest" is the first in a series and it was enjoyed by young and old alike. It didn't matter that the temperature was in the single digits as the sun rose over the mountains.....a steady stream of people made their way to the gondola with their skis each day.

I enjoyed skiing on Saturday and took time out to watch the progress of the snow sculptures as they were being created. Mountain Village, where the snow fest was held, looks very European and has many outdoor cafes where people sit and chat over coffee, hot chocolate , or lunch. You can view the square and watch many of the races and competitions as well.

On Sat. evening, a torchlight parade and fireworks were going to be held. It was also about 8 degrees around 6:00 pm and staying in was looking mighty good. However, I really wanted to go and reminded myself that this was my opportunity to take in all that I could this year. So, I bundled up in my down coat and headed for the gondola.

The evening was spectacular and I didn't feel the cold! The torchlight parade opened a wonderful ski exhibition (with lots of jumps and flips) and the event closed with fireworks.

Leaving the winter behind on Sunday as we head for La Ribera in the Baja for the week!

2 comments:

Daktari said...

Hi Patti
Have a great time in Baja!
Bernie and Bruce were thrilled to get your letter.
Talk to you when you get back,
Mark

Becky said...

Finally decided to post so that you can see I actually do read your blog:) Looks like fun in Telluride - you have a lot more snow than we do in VT, but we are off to go find some on the top of hte mountain this morning. Have fun in Mexico!

Love, A, B, C & C