San Miguel de Allende is not easy to get to.......at least it is not easy to get to if you try to save money. you can fly into Leon or Queretero and spend another hour and a half on a shuttle and be there. However, it is half as much money (savings of about $350.00) to fly into Mexico City and take two buses and arrive 5 1/2 hours later. Being the Yankee that I am, I almost always choose the long way. However, for me, the journey is as important as the destination so I enjoy my travel time and opportunity to talk with the natives and sit back and see the scenery.
I arrived in DF in the late afternoon so was able to witness the lighting of the Christmas decorations along the way. I was surprised to see so many "American" style decorations along the way and resented how our culture is creeping into theirs.
As always, arriving in SMA was special and the streets were gaily lit, again with "our"decorations adorning the streets. Still, it was awesome to arrive and be able to witness how the holidays were being celebrated there. The large Christmas tree in the jardin was totally decorated with red and white poinsettia's (the flower of Mexico)and by night, was lit with blue lights....gorgeous! Many of the colonial homes, now owned by gringos were decorated American style and quite lovely.
Trees were being sold in the squares but they were "balled" and ready to be planted after being used.....a great "green" idea.
Mexican traditions for the holiday were everywhere as well and I'll write about those soon. Hope you all enjoyed the holiday season with your loved ones!
2 comments:
Hi, just catching up on your travels!Is the house in Telluride just for you? Where is the family you work for staying or are you all in the grey house in the picture? Your house in Mexico looks wonderful and it sounds like a lot of progress is being made...when do you expect it to be completed?I'm assuming Mexico was part of youyr time-off and you're back to work. How does a work day in Telluride go? Sorry for all the questions!
As you know we have plenty of snow here...K. Scholtz and I were up in Maine and it was a winter wonderland compared to the small amount we have here.I, however, am looking forward to Feb. vacation and a week on our charter boat in the BVIs. Keep the blogs coming!
Deb
Hi Patti
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's behind on blogging due to the Holidays! Rena and I were in Telluride on Friday and Hotchkiss on Saturday. We had to leave early Saturday in an effort to outrun a major snowstorm over Vail Pass. The snowstorm beat us to the pass but we made it through anyway! Gracias a Dios.
Sorry we missed you in Co. It's back to Amesbury tomorrow. I hope to have my Colorado blogs out soon after we get back.
Mark
P.S. You're a better adventurer than I am. 5 1/2 hours on a Mexican bus- que fortaleza!
Post a Comment