Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Good-bye Argentina 2008








There is so much more that could be said about Argentina, but I leave today for San Miguel de Allende, Mexico and there will be lots more to tell. I actually depart from Telluride after school and will drive for two hours through the mountains and stay at the farm in Austin, CO tonight. I'll leave early tomorrow morning and fly out of Grand Junction. Tomorrow evening, I will stay with my friend, Roz, for one night. It is expected that I will move into the casita on Friday....wow!

We were due to fly out of Bariloche on a Friday but when we arrived at the airport after a 5 hour drive, we found out that due to an airline strike, everything was delayed. We still expected to leave that evening, but it didn't happen. Instead, we spent the night in the airport, catching a few winks sleeping on the floor or benches.......not great. We did leave at 5 in the morning but had missed our connection in Buenos Aires so had to rebook. We were not able to leave for two more days.

We settled into a lovely hotel in Buenos Aires and enjoyed two more days of sightseeing. I was glad to have gone back because we traveled on different roads and I gained a different perspective of the city. We passed by a huge area of extreme poverty and slums which we had missed the first time. In the city itself, I witnessed a family of three bedding down on a cardboard box in the train station to sleep off the day. It was similar to how we had passed the night before, sleeping on cardboard in the airport; the difference of course, was that we had to endure it for only one night and for these people, it was their home. It was a good lesson for all of us.

We also had time to see some more of the tourist sights we had missed on our previous visit. I especially liked the gigantic metal flower which opens and closes with the light. We enjoyed more lovely parks as Buenos Aires is one of the "greenest" cities I have ever seen.

Hoping to have a place to hook my computer into internet in SMA so I can blog from there. If not, I'll be back on track asap and share pictures of the casa and the holiday celebrations in Mexico.

Hasta luego, amigos!

No comments: